Sunday, April 29, 2012

A 401K is not that important: Thrift Finds of the Week

Yesterday was one of the worst days of my Hooters career.  *Aside-Basically, multiple stereotypes were proven true.  Do not go out to eat if you have a bad attitude.  Stay in your cotton pickin house and make it your cotton pickin self.  It's Hooters.  Not the Hilton.  Aside Over*.  I generally wind down at Spa World, but my nekkid partner Victoria was not available (She has a date next week, had hair done last week, doesn't want to mess it up blah blah blah.)  I pardoned her because I am a fantastic friend.  I decided to explore new thrift territory.  My favorite Salvation Army is not open on Sundays, my only day off natch, so I hit up yelp and found 3 well-reviewed thrift stores in Fairfax.  *Aside PS DO NOT GET PULLED OVER IN FAIRFAX!  THEY ARE THE STRICTEST PO-POS IN THE UNITED STATES.  I ALMOST WENT TO JAIL LAST AUGUST YA'LL!  GOING 20 MILES OVER THE SPEED LIMIT IS A MISDEMEANOR IN THE UGLY STATE OF VIRGINIA.  Aside Over*.

When I walked into the first store, this song started playing in my head:




In a word, the store was epic.  I discovered this gem for $25.  I will definitely wear it to one of two weddings I'm attending this year.  It is one of the most gorgeous things I have ever seen in person, and the pictures really do it no justice.  The sheer mesh fabric of the bodice is overlaid with hundreds of rhinestones, pearls, and glass beads.  The clerk and I agreed that it was early 1960s, like 1961.  The detail is astonishing, and most have taken hours upon hours to sew.

 There is a beige camisole attached to the bodice.
 Even the sleeve is wonderful.  The bottom of the sleeve is similar to the neckline of the dress:  bejeweled.
 The skirt attached to the bodice is a creamy mint color.  Again, the picture does it no justice because when I tried it on, I started doing the cabbage patch.  The only thing that makes me sad is that there are some rust stains on the back of the skirt; however, the awesome clerk suggested I sew some very sheer fabric, similar to what's on the bodice, to the skirt so the mint will still come through and the rust stains won't be that noticeable.  This dress is in great condition for being fifty years old.
 I found beige leather gloves at the thrift store in what I call Little Mexico.  I was one of 5 non-Mexicans in the entire place.  The gloves were $3.99.  If I'm feeling bougie I may wear them with my new dress.
 I love this Anne Klein scarf.  It's quite wrinkled, but it depicts an orange glove holding a bejeweled gold purse. 

 This has to be one of my favorite buys of the day.  I love the Medieval depiction of the angel Michael, the balances of justice, and the Latin phrase.  I thought the swirls of blue were great and didn't think twice when I put it in my basket.  And for $2.99, it was hard to find a reason not to purchase it.
 I love kimonos.  There are pictures of my sister and I in kimonos when we lived in Japan.  When I saw this one for $3.99 in Little Mexico, I snatched it up.  The tag says "polyester" and "Made in Japan".  I don't know about you, but I love little details like that.  I become excited when a piece I buy was made in a country outside of China.  That's quite sad.


 Nice simple skirt for work.  I think it will look really nice with an emerald green button up with a giant pussy bow on the neck.  Gold accessories.  WIN!

Today was a complete thrift shopping success.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...