Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Wednsday means 25% off and big crowds: Thrift Finds of the Week

I used to be able to casually browse Goodwill's racks and find treasures because only the poor people went to the thrift store (disclosure:  I am poor, always have been, won't be as soon as Sallie Mae gets her money!  She is worse than a pimp in the dirtiest part of Southeast DC!!!).  A Christian Dior shirt here, a fluffy prom dress from the 50s there, etc.  But everyone is cash-poor these days.  As a result, everyone is all up in the thrift store, especially when it's 25% off Wednesday.  I leave work early on Wednesdays to get to the thrift store before the crowd arrives.  I feel possessive over it.  It's my domain.  

And yes, I have had to get scrappy at the thrift store.  For example, I saw a plumper lady pick up a dress that I thought I should have.  It was mine.  At least I thought it was.  The dress was a loud, 80s, floral thing but it was gaaaawgeous.  I could see myself swishing around Piggley Wiggley in it.  I covertly followed her throughout the thrift store for 20 minutes, waiting for her to put it down.  There is no happy ending to this story.  She bought it.  I was devastated.  That's the thing with thrift stores.  It's never guaranteed that you will find something great or that it will fit.  I'm an anomaly.  I ALWAYS find good stuff.  Because I'm great at what I do.  Every time I walk in I walk out with a bulging bag of treasures.  I found the following this week.

 


Each purse was $3.99.  They are both from the 80s.  The purse on the right is real leather!  Quite a steal with that pretty gold chain attached.



My new thing this year is the Selena bustier.  I love me some Selena.  COMO LA FLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR!  So I bought this bra for $2.99; it is going to look like a bustier when I put it with a high waisted skirt or some high waisted pants.  You'll see.  I am going to look so pretty your eyeballs will roll right onto the floor.  And I will kick them away because I'm boughetto like that.  The breast situation is a little precarious, so I may have to get some frozen pork cutlets to resemble my friend Shantizzle down in Austin.



I absolutely adore this silk scarf.  Can't beat $2.99!  If you don't know, it's a depiction of Santorini, Greece.  I partied my bootay off in Santorini when I studied there in 2005.  No Steph.  You can't have it.


You may say to yourself, "This is an ugly dress."  And it may in fact be fugly in your opinion;  but this is my fashion blog not yours.  When I tried this baby on I looked expensive.  You'll see.  Next week.  Notice the interesting back detail below.



This satin shirt is interesting because 1)  It is reversible  2)  Is multicolored and 3)  The colors are so much more bright in person.  I can't wait to find something to wear with it.  I've honestly never seen a shirt like this in all of my 20 years of thrifting.  Yeah.  I've been thrifting since I was 6.  First purchase was a multicolored-leaf tube dress from the 1970s.



I love this.  But it's too small.  I have sausage arms in it.  I will starve myself for a week, wear it once, then sell it.  Notice the gorgeous baroque detail.  Reminds me of New Orleans and all of the iron work on the balconies.  The 3-tiered ruffles are also another fun detail.



I love this 3/4 sleeve cocoon coat so much.  I'm not a big fan of brown but this was tailored really well and it looks expensive.  I am having a hard time placing its year because the tag was sewn in upside down.  The stitching of the tag is a type of stitch commonly seen in coats from the early 1960s.




In a perfect world I would have found these at the thrift store:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...