Thursday, April 26, 2012

Ensemble of the Day: Flower Child Goes to Work

My grandmother was present when I bought this dress at a thrift store in South Carolina for $5.49.  She thought it was absolutely terrible-looking.  She didn't say it outright, but I was definitely on the receiving end of, "If that's what you want to wear," speech and a Southern grandmother side eye.  I get many of those side eyes.  That's why I'm so great at giving them.  I try to give at least three a day.  I promise you, I always exceed my daily quota.

I love this dress for a few reasons.  First, I rarely wear yellow.  I have a fantastic yellow belt, but that is one of 3 yellow items in my wardrobe.  I love incorporating new colors into my wardrobe.  Only in the last 2 years have I really embraced the color red.  Second, I don't wear many dresses that are this style, the whole floaty hipster Woodstock peasant type of dress.  I'm more into the nipped in waist and voluminous skirt look; however, the dress flows really well.  And for being of the 1970s polyester sort, it's quite breathable.  Even my big big boss had compliments for me today.  Third, I really love that this dress has bracelet sleeves (Bracelet sleeves refers to sleeves that are gathered at the wrist, giving you the "bracelet" look).  They used to be tighter but 35 years of washing machine means that the elastic is just gone.  The dress came with a sash that I wear in my hair on occasion.

Also ladies (and gents if you are the gay club sort), there's nothing sexier than a body part silhouetted against sheer fabric, especially when you're all covered up.















Some ideas on the sexy sheer dress and bracelet sleeve combo.


5 comments:

  1. Love the dress.

    Backlit photos = not the best. Makes it hard to actually see you and the dress. The last ones are better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the backlit ones because you can't see my face. BWAHAHAHAHA!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have those boots! Clearly twins in fashion :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did you get them from Zara? How do you get them to stay up?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...