Thursday, April 12, 2012

When all else fails...throw on a neon cape

Just kidding.
Alex R. asked me during one of our many facebook chats how a man can wear a cape successfully.  I'll start by giving you a list of people who don't wear them well:  Dracula, Superman, Elvis, and Andre Leon Talley.  What all these men have in common is that they wear capes that are too long, too cumbersome, and too dramatic.  I know dramatic; I was voted most dramatic by Black Duke Class of 2008.

Say no to drugs, kids
I appreciate this cape for its workmanship, but it's straight up fug.  He looks like a volcanic Easter Egg.  

This gentleman looks perfect.  The colors are muted, there is not a lot of bulk, the top button is casually undone, he doesn't look like Mary Poppins, the length hits him right above the knee, and the shirt underneath is crisp.  If you're going to wear a cape, make sure everything else is slim cut.  You won't look like the Liberty Bell I promise.  With bulky clothes underneath you will look like an oozing blueberry muffin.  I only mention blueberry because I would like one this very second.

 This is not a man cape, but if you plan on wearing fur, please avoid creatures like this.  You will look like you got in a fight with a rag tag possum gang and happened to win due to an unfair sucker punch.  Fur capes should be less than four pelts sewn together.  You definitely want to avoid looking like a ghetto bird.  

  I love you Eddard Stark.  This has nothing to do with the post except that he is wearing a cape.  But he lives in Middle Earth or Heaven or something so his Dracula cape doesn't count in the avoid pile.  RIP 100th Sean Bean character to die on film.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...