Monday, April 16, 2012

There's a highway called Jefferson Davis: Thrift Finds of the Week

I like to shop in my own closet because I am not one of those people who can buy an outfit for a specific event.  I would rather dig in my closet and find something fabulous to wear rather than to run off to the mall.  To me, it's a cop-out.  Therefore, my closet is filled with strange clothes that seemingly don't go with anything else.  Leather bustier from the early 90s?  Check.  Leopard print coat from 1977 that looks like a bathrobe?  Check.  Ballgown with the blue sequin bodice from 1965 that I wore to Walgreens?  Check.  (Confession:  I never went to prom so I wear ballgowns while I'm at home chilling.  I would rather balance my checkbook in sequins than to balance my checkbook in sweatpants).  So when I shop, I just buy what I like.  The thrill for me is to later create some magical ensemble.   There are some misses, but a lot of hits.  I never feel bad if I buy something ugly because I never spend more than $14 for it.


I went to a new thrift store off of Jefferson Davis Highway (I'm in Virginia; everything is Jefferson Davis this, KKK that, General Lee this, and so on) and started to hyperventilate when I walked through the doors:  It was as big as Wal Mart.  I'm no lover of Wal Mart but I can certainly appreciate a big box store.  But a thrift store that big?  I knew there would be some fun finds, and I was right.
 



This dress was $3.99.  Despite there being no tag on it, I knew it was from the late 1960s.  The length, the brocade pattern, the empire waist style, and the pale colors lend credence to my theory.  I even checked out similar styles in my fashion reference book.  It's a silk seafoam green and silver brocade, and quite heavy.  Not really sure where I'm going to where it, maybe the library.

 This is an off-white leather clutch only $1.99!  I'm not a big purse person, but I do collect clutches when I can.
I'm in love with off the shoulder shirts.  This was obviously 1/2 of a prom dress.  I'm going to belt the top and pair it with a slim white linen skirt to give that mid-50s wriggle dress look to it.  Probably add a nice collar necklace to draw attention to my beautiful shoulders.  Yes.  I've got beautiful shoulders.
 This skirt was a little more pricy at $6.90.  It's polyester but looks and feels like satin.  Polyester does deserve it's bad reputation; however, the 1980s polyester is a lot more light-weight and breathable compared to the 1970s and 1960s polyester.  But I could definitely pair it with a neon pink belt and a crisp white shirt. 
 I adore this scarf because I love any type of Indian motif (Peruvian in this case).  The bright colors will look great against white.  All the scarves were $2.90 a piece.

2 comments:

  1. I'm stealing that Peruvian scarf. thank you for the birthday present.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Major side eye across the Internet woman. We will discuss this over gchat tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...