Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Ensemble of the Day: Work Edition

As an adult, I adore polka dots.  As a child, I hated polka dots with the fire of a thousand suns.  When we lived in Japan, my mother made herself and I matching green and white polka dot dresses.  As a three-year old I didn't notice really.  I cared about Rainbow Bright and the Little Mermaid.  But as a five-year old with a specific fashion worldview?  I CARED A LOT!  My mother sent a pink and white polka dot dress for me to wear for my birthday while I was visiting relatives in Charleston, South Carolina.  I tried to hide the dress from my grandmother.  Says grandmother, "I have never seen a child hate an article of clothing so much!"  Even then I knew what I did and did not like.



I wore a black and white polka dot dress ($9 from the local Salvation Army) from the mid-80s to work today and accessorized with long, chain like earrings.  I always try to add one pop of color because I'm not a fan of wearing just two colors.  I added a black belt with a gold plate in an attempt to create a waist line.  The belt is actually the most expensive thing I'm wearing.  I saw it at a boutique in Seoul, South Korea for 60,000 won and just had to buy it.  I wear this belt just as much as I wear the yellow Liz Claiborne belt.  Because of the way the pockets are situated, at a slight slant, they tend to make me look hippy.  And I'm not in the business of looking hippy.  It's just not a good look for my body type.

I really like this dress because of the little button detail on the sleeves.  Dresses from the mid 80s are very good for that. 






















No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...