Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Fashion in Film: Overboard


There are many, many films I watch just for the costuming.  Memoirs of a Geisha is one of those terrible movies that I watched simply because I knew there would be a fierce kimono dance later.  I remember attending a New Yorker Magazine event when I interned with Women's Wear Daily where I had the opportunity to listen to a panel of Oscar-winning costume designers.  I was absolutely enthralled.  The workmanship, thought, research, and love that goes into creating film costumes is admirable.  To me, without the costumes, there is no movie.  I believe that costumes help an actor or actress really embody the character.  It's also the easiest change to make. 

Forget Pretty in Pink, St. Elmo's Fire, or Less Than Zero; Overboard is one of my favorite 80s movies.  Goldie Hawn and Russell Crowe are comedic genius and her outfits pre-amnesia are stellar.  She also gave major 'tude and had the most awesome side bun to ever be caught on film.



The deep v and the giant hibiscus flower with cherries give me so much life.

I think Beyonce got her "Upgrade You" braid idea from Overboard.

I love emerald shoes.

I need those glasses stat.

Thong zebra print bathing suit?  Check!

The high cut, white one piece with the navy admiral sequin coat.  I'm just not going to say anything else.

Side bun.



When I go to Puerto Rico with Danielle, I'm buying a hat similar to this.




3 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...